History of the Church
According to the Domesday Book, in 1087 a priest named Brun occupied land here and preached the gospel. The present church dates from the early part of the 12th Century, and was begun by monks from Bec, the important Benedictine abbey in Normandy.
The piers in the south arcade have square capitals which are a Norman feature, while those in the north arcade are round and Early English, dating from the 13th Century. The church is thought to remain substantially as it was in 1500.
The east window in the chapel in the north aisle contains some 15th Century
blue glass, and further vestiges of early glass may be seen in each of
the three north windows in this aisle. The two angel's heads in the eastern window
date from the early 15th century and are fully described in CORPUS VITREARUM MEDII AEVI,
The County of Oxford, A Catalogue of Medieval Stained Glass, By Peter A Newton with the assistance of Jill Kerr
London 1979, OUP.
The Wall Paintings
The paintings in the chancel, dating from 1330, are a treasure both to this church and nationally. Read more >>
On the chancel floor are 15th Century brasses to the Barantyn family, owners of one of the two manors then in Chalgrove.
This hangs above the west end of the nave, and represents the Chalgrove Friendly Society for mutual aid. It dates from 1840, and was renovated in 1996.
The clock, deliberately, has just one hand! It was installed in 1802, although the movement is dated 1699. Evidence suggests that the numbers on the face refer to the date 1863. The clock was renovated in 1996.
The tower “twas old and ruinous” and part of it fell down in 1726 after a peal of the six bells. It was rebuilt the following year, but the steeple was subsequently toppled by a storm and has never been replaced. The bells date from 1652. Read more >>
The Parish Registers are outstanding – the earliest entry being a marriage in May 1531. This predates 1538, from when such records were required to be kept. The registers have been copied and indexed to beyond the 1837 Civil Registration, and these transcriptions and the originals may be seen at Oxfordshire Archives in Oxford or contact them 01865 398200.
You can also contact the Chalgrove History Group…..
Please come and pay a visit to this wonderful church, where the worship of God has taken place for nearly 1000 years.
The church is normally open, apart from regular services, April to September on Wednesdays 10am - 3pm (there are services at 10am and at 2pm) and Sundays from 2-4 p.m. A key is available at other times, from Premier Newsagents in the High Street. Alternatively, there is a list of keyholders by the north door or please contact a Churchwarden.
|Visitors since 3rd November 2005||Copyright
2004© St Mary's Church, Chalgrove, Oxfordshire www.chalgrovechurch.org
site design by: cmm